37th Annual Jed Smith Ultra Classic
30Km, 50Km, 50 Mile
New Half Marathon Fun Run!
February 7, 2015
THE FASTEST ULTRA IN THE WEST
Congratulations to all of our runners!
2015 Race Results
|Half Marathon Overall|
Prior year’s results can be found at Capitol Road Race Management.
Check here for the latest news! (updated 1/3/15)
The Jed Smith Ultra Classic is a very fast, flat loop course and it has seen some of the fastest 50 km and 50 mile times in recent history.
Race Day Schedule:
- Registration opens at 6:45 AM
- 50-mile race starts at 7:30 AM
- 50 km race starts at 8:30 AM
- 30 km and half marathon race starts at 9:30 AM
- Final lap must be started by 4:20 PM!
- Park closes at 6:00 PM.
For this year’s race, we are continuing with the course along the American River that we’ve used since 2011. We believe you will really enjoy this course. The staging area (start/finish) is the Watt Avenue access to the American River Parkway. We found this to be a very fast course, and virtually identical to the marathon course for the 2011 World Masters Championships. This is not a trail race.
The course starts out at the Watt Avenue access on the south side of the river (off La Riviera Dr). Head west on the paved bike path along the south side of the river to the Guy West Bridge. Cross the river and head east along the levee road to Howe Ave. Run under Howe Ave and proceed along the dirt road next to the levee to Watt Ave. Cross the river on the Watt Avenue bridge and run down the steep, short hill to the start. Repeat as necessary.
There is a Gmaps Pedometer map.
Aid stations will be at the start/finish area and at the Howe Ave bridge on the north side of the river. There are also drinking fountains and restrooms along the course.
Pacific Association USATF Grand Prix:
The Jed Smith 50Km is traditionally the first event in the Pacific Association USA Track and Field Ultra Grand Prix Series. In order to qualify for Grand Prix points and awards, you must be a PAUSATF member prior to the start of the race. Runners may join PAUSATF online.
Membership applications are also available in California Track & Running News (sent free bi-monthly to members) or from the PAUSATF office at 120 Ponderosa Court, Folsom 95630, (916) 983-4715.
1) Online Registration —-> Ultrasignup.com There is no fee for online registration.
2) Although we’d rather you register online, if you must, here is the Printable Entry Form (PDF). As mentioned above, there is no fee for online registration.
3) Chips and PA winner discounts should automatically apply when you register online, as long as we have the correct email address on file. If it doesn’t work, send us a note and we”ll hook you up.
On-line registration opens September 2014.
- 50 mile – before 12/21/14 $70; 12/21/14-1/18/15 $80; 1/19/15 to race day $90
- 50 km – before 12/21/14 $60; 12/21/14 to 1/18/15 $70; 1/19/15 to race day $80
- 30 km – before 12/21/14 $45; 12/21/14 to 1/18/15 $55; 1/19/15 to race day $60
- 13.1 mile – before 12/21/14 $40; 12/21/14 to 1/18/15 $55; 1/19/15 to race day $60
Special Screaming Deal for current Buffalo Chips members and runners under 18:
- 30 km or half marathon – before 1/19/15 $35, 1/19/15 to race day $45. (Otherwise, it’s $10 off any race’s current price.)
Staging area will be at the Watt Avenue access to the American River Parkway. (Use 8731 La Riviera Drive, Sacramento, CA for Google maps, GPS, etc)
Directions to Watt Avenue River Access:
From US 50, take Watt Avenue North. Exit at La Riviera. Turn left onto La Riviera, and then immediately turn right into the park.
From I-80 take Watt Avenue South. After you cross the river (~5 miles), exit at La Rivera. Turn right onto La Riviera (back under Watt) and turn left into the park.
Park entry fee included in race fee!! Collect parking voucher from a volunteer as you enter the parking lot. You may get a citation if the parking voucher is not displayed.
Jed Smith Race Directors:
Dennis Scott, telephone (916) 455-8710
John Blue telephone (916) 715-1903
|50K Course Records|
|under 30||Mike Gottardi||3:10:21||1996|
|under 30||Devon Crosby-Helms||3:32:02||2007|
Here are some more pictures from the course: