For many years the Buffalo Chips have aided the Devil’s Thumb aid station in the Western States Endurance Run 100 Mile race. Check out all the fun we have!
Devils Thumb Aid Station
Here’s a video of the Devil’s Thumb Aid Station from 2011.
Chips/Devil’s Thumb Western States 100 Award Slot
To be considered for the Devil’s Thumb slot at Western States, a Buffalo Chip club member must first meet all of the WS 100 qualifications (see below) and should have a history of volunteering for the aid station and for the race. This volunteer activity will be paramount in selecting the runner to get the aid station slot.
Interested runners should apply to the Buffalo Chips Western States committee no later than November 1, prior to the year in which they want to run. The application should include a running resume and a short letter explaining why they believe they are deserving of the slot. You may submit your application (a PDF version of the form may be found here) at any Tuesday night workout or Saturday long run.
APPLICATION FOR THE DEVIL’S THUMB AID STATION CAPTAIN’S DESIGNATED RUNNER (DR) SPOT FOR THE 2013 WESTERN STATES ENDURANCE RUN
(Please submit prior to November 1, 2013)
I understand that each Aid Station Captain is allotted a DESIGNATED RUNNER (DR) entry into WSER every year and that the underlying purpose of the entry is to reward dedicated volunteers for their time in helping maintain the stellar reputation of WSER as well as to provide Captains with a means to entice long-term quality volunteers. I certify that I have helped maintain WSER as a volunteer, meet the qualifications in this application and seek the DR entry for the 2013 race.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO OBTAIN THE DEVIL’S THUMB AID STATION DR ENTRY FOR WESTERN STATES:
I certify that I meet the following minimum qualifications for designation of the DR entry:
- I have run a qualifying race within the appropriate time period. See http://ws100.com/qualifying.htm for qualifying standards, races and times. It is the runner’s responsibility to be sure his race is on the official list of qualifying races.
- I am qualified and have properly registered for the Lottery by the application deadline. See http://ws100.com/appform.htm for the application process. I understand that if my application is rejected for any reason that I am not eligible for the DR entry.
- I will Fulfill at least 8 hours of volunteer work at WSER, the February training run, the Memorial Weekend training runs, or other projects (see http://www.ws100.com/projects.htm ) WSER Trail Project prior to the race and will forfeit my race entry and will not be allowed to run if this requirement is not fulfilled prior to the race. I understand that this will be an additional 8 hours of volunteer work if the runner’s race application requirement was fulfilled at a run not associated with WSER. The WSER volunteer hours should be submitted on the same service requirement form, and be signed off by the WSER Aid Station Captain.
- I understand that the DR entry is an entry of last resort which means I did not get into the race through the lottery, special consideration, the raffle or by any other means and that I should expect to have my credit card charged for the race entry fee on the day of the lottery and will be added as an official entrant that day.
- I understand that each Aid Station Captain is given only one DR entry and that I have not applied for more than one Aid Stations DR entry.
- Please attach a completed copy of the WSER application that you have or plan to submit for the WSER race.
Attach to your application along with a copy of the WSER application stated above the following:
1. A “running” resume which should show that you are capable of completing WSER within the time limits of the run.
2. A short letter explaining why you are deserving of the Devil’s Thumb DR entry. The committee will consider your history and dedication to the Buffalo Chips running club, your volunteer service to the Devil’s Thumb aid station and your volunteer service to the WSER.